Sunday, January 3, 2010

The How and the Why

I am going to write on this blog with the understanding that about a dozen people will read it and 10 of them will be from CFW. When Jen and Carl said we needed to start keeping blogs and actually updating them I was all for it, but having something to say...that's a different beast entirely. After thinking about it here and there I have decided to use this blog to post my thoughts about crossfit, olympic lifting, programming, training in general and whatever else jumps into my head. I will also use it to highlight members of the gym who warrant some recognition...this might be Liz getting her muscle-up (soon!) or Keith losing to me on the quest to 50 pull-ups, or Raymond's dodgeball cannon of an arm that he unloads on people with extreme prejudice. Pretty much anything that strikes my fancy.

To kick things off, I am going to give anyone with the stamina to read it all a brief history of how I found crossfit and functional training and why I love it so much.

Here goes: I first started reading seriously about fitness and training my last year of high school ('03-'04). I say "seriously" because I was moving beyond the bodybuilding magazines and starting to stumble across coaches who actually believed in squatting and functional movements, not body part splits and 3x15 for 2 hours. I was interested in training because I was all of MAYBE 155lbs, probably 150. At about 6'1". If I turned sideways people would lose sight of me. If a strong wind kicked up I would find myself three blocks away in an instant. I was constantly injured while playing soccer and snowboarding/skiing growing up, and looking back I think it was a combination of me having no inner voice saying, "You probably shouldn't try that..." and being too weak to protect my body. I wanted to get bigger and stronger and so I started learning how that should be done.

In the first year of college (maybe a big before) I found Alwyn Cosgrove and thought his ideas and programs were something worth following so I read as much of his stuff as I could. I also read anything ever written by anyone else who thought he was quality. I was unknowingly working my way through most of the editors of what T-Nation. Around this time I learned who Dan John was, who Bill Starr was, stumbled onto Ross Enamait, Mike Robertson, Eric Cressey, the list goes on. I started collecting books on training and diet and reading them all. I became fascinated with programming and got a hold of Cosgrove's program design manual and ate that up as well. I learned what tempo was, the history of "good" training, what "super squats" was, the difference between eccentric and concentric, what a mesomorph is, what hypertrophy is, etc. Looking back, these couple years of reading were when I taught myself enough to actually have a conversation with someone or understand any given article on training.

During this time I was, of course, still weak and small. I remember searching for "pull-ups" or something similar in 2006 and coming across crossfit's main site. The workout was something with L-pull-ups and the picture was of Brendan Gilliam cranking one out. Shirtless. With a hat on backwards. I immediately thought, "What the fuck is this??" and back pedaled quickly to google search to find another site. I never thought about it again.

While sucking up Cosgrove's stuff I saw somewhere that he required his trainers to read Rip's "Starting Strength" so, of course, I bought it. One way or another this lead me back to the crossfit main site in spring of '07. This time I gave it a shot. For me, that doesn't mean I jumped in on the WOD that was posted, but instead read every journal article I could find. I read EVERYTHING. A week or two later of reading for literally hours a day, I gave it a whirl. I was sold. I did "Cindy" and got something like 5 rounds. Other than the occasional focus on olympic lifting, I haven't looked back since.

That's the "How", more or less. Next post will be the "Why"...

5 comments:

  1. A projected 12 readers? That's triple the readership of your last blog. Big D is moving up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not gonna lie. I didn't read all of it but welcome to the blogoshpere and the land of saying alot with out saying anything.

    Dutch

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started downloading and reading CF Journal articles yesterday. Going through all the Glassman pieces since 2002. Very, very helpful overviews. Thanks for taking the time to explain the "how." Looking forward to reading the "why."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good effort, Dutch! Most will be much shorter.

    You know it, T. Next year I'll shoot for 3 dozen!

    Soak em in, Steve, there is some good stuff in those older articles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I predict at least 25 followers by the end of the month! Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete