Thursday, January 28, 2010

state of mind

ATTENTION: I am underwhelmed by the class names "6am" and "6pm". You should be too. In the comments post your nominations for class names. Once nominations are in, I will post a poll and we'll decide on the future names, shirts, tattoos, and such for the classes.


As I said a week ago, I have been wanting to do a post on focus/state of mind during WODs. Well, here we go. In light of the Winter Open, I thought I would post a couple strategies that have worked for me and others to achieve better WOD times. The first one we'll talk about is composure.

You know that feeling when, if you're like me, you get 3 reps into a workout and go "oh fuck no. no no no no no!" It's this voice that creeps into your head and starts reminding you how many MORE reps you have, how much it already hurts, how impossible the task is. This voice is a bitch. You have to ignore it. Put it under your heel and grind it. Every workout, no matter how simple looking, is going to hurt. You might do better or worse at workout, but they all hurt. So accept it, and get going with those reps! It is important to remain calm, or at least look like you're calm. When you're in a lot of pain and you start scrunching your face up and yelling and whatever else you do, it sends a signal to your brain to settle the fuck down. You don't want this to happen! Don't let your reactions freak your brain out. Stay as calm as you can, clear your head, and only think one rep at a time. Liz was kind enough to demonstrate the two extremes of composure during the Winter Open (courtesy of Aimee's rocking photography):

(my name is Liz, and I will eat your children)

(my name is Liz, and I'm crushing you in this WOD)

If you can remain calm and (relatively) relaxed during a WOD, your body will reward you for it.

The mental part of WODs that I struggle with is clearing my mind. I'm the guy who gets 3 reps in, panics, and starts calculating how many more reps I have, how long it will take, how I'm off my goal speed, if I paid my electric bill, am I retarded for doing this, etc. My friend and coach, Dutch, has more than once got on me about getting out of my head. One of the things he said that stuck with me was to not worry about breathing and just do the work, the breathing will happen. One of my continuing goals is working on my ability to "suffer". Easier said than done.

Finally, along the same lines as clearing your head, don't waste time between exercises! When you come in from a run and start thinking about how many power cleans (or whatever other exercise) you have to do, time passes FAST as you sit there and stare at the bar. Just grab the bar and start doing a few reps. Catching your breath is a waste of time, I promise you won't feel better until 15 minutes after the workout is finished. I find that starting on the next exercise actually calms me down and helps to regulate my breathing. Try it out. Start the next exercise before you're ready. Then don't stop.

8 comments:

  1. Nice one, thanks Dave, gonna keep this in mind.

    Also, how about the MeatWODs? Sorry... :-/

    CVG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave is a wise man (boy)!

    Too many people are used to being too comfortable in this world. One can only grow from becoming comfortable with the uncomfortable. Crossfit had definitely drilled this in. There is no easy CF workout and you just have to realize that each workout is gonna have a large amount of suckage. It's how we deal with that suckage that makes us stronger. Embrace the suck!

    I liked Lance's suggestion for the dodge ball team awhile back:
    "My Foot, Your Ass" or something like that. maybe it was My Foot, Your balls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Embrace the Suck"- good idea for a t-shirt.

    How bout "the misfits" for the 6pmrs... (a black belt professor, a published novelist, a sledge-wielding artist, a banjo-playing rock climber, a yoga master, a vegan dr., a helicopter pilot, a cut-throat defense attorney, a 7ft. tall business attorney, The Hulk (has anyone seen Leonard?), a recreational parachuter, and sometimes a dog. Not to mention our crossfit-physicist coach (not standard-issue).

    Either that or "the best looking and hardest working crossfitters in the gym and funnest to be around" but that's a little long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw man... I feel that I might have to adopt a really odd quirk if I come to the 6 pm class when I get home. :\ Like a really odd one...

    And I'd buy that t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You already have one- it's called d a n i e l- so, you're welcome at the 6pmr anytime.

    Speaking of Daniel- he was banging out the muscle ups last night- his arms are lookin' massive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be cool to incorporate our coach's name into the class name...too bad "Dave Smith" is the most boring name in the world.

    My suggestions:

    Dave's Delinquents
    Dirty Jerks
    Rollin' 6s
    Six Shooters
    Lance & The Woodies

    If Lance ever switches to the 6AM class you HAVE to call it "Morning Wood".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Late Night Jerks
    Happy Hour
    Sick Snatches
    Die-Hards

    Six Shooters ain't bad...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suggestions from Bruce who refuses to post them himself:
    Bitch Slapped Before Breakfast
    6am Smack Down

    ReplyDelete